I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
Please provide the following
How do I erase the personal data on my device?
Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device. Keep in mind, when using this feature everything is deleted.
To reset from settings
To erase all data and reset your phone:
- Go to Settings > System > Backup.
- If you’re resetting because you suspect a third-party app is causing problems, turn off Back up to Google Drive. Instead of automatically restoring apps after the reset, you’ll want to restore them one at a time to determine which is causing the problem.
- Touch , then touch Reset > Factory data reset.
If you can’t access Settings, do an external reset.
Everything will be deleted from your phone. However, if you personalized your wallpaper or startup message at the time of purchase, you can preserve the personalized content shipped with your phone.
- Make sure your battery is charged at least 30%.
- Turn off the phone.
- Press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the phone turns on.
- Press the Volume Down button until you see Recovery mode.
- Press the Power button to restart in Recovery mode.
- If you see an Android robot with a red exclamation mark, press and hold the Power button, then press and release the Volume Up button to display the menu options.
- Use the Volume buttons to scroll to Wipe data/factory reset, then press the Power button to select it.
- Use Volume buttons to scroll to Yes, then press the Power button to select it.
- Use Volume buttons to scroll to an option and press the Power button to select it:
- Userdata only: preserves personalized content shipped with your phone, including power up message, image, wallpaper, and ringtones
- Userdata + personalized content: deletes all content and data
Allow several seconds for the reset to complete.
- Use Volume buttons to scroll to Reboot system now, then press the Power button to select it.
Allow several minutes for the reboot to complete. If the phone doesn't finish rebooting, press & hold the Power button until the screen turns dark, then release it to power up normally.
- If you reset your phone because you suspect a third-party app is causing problems, when you set up the phone again, touch Set up as new. Then, restore one app at a time and use the phone for a while. If the phone has no issues, install the next app and retest.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.