Touchless Control lets you control your phone hands-free by speaking commands. You can train your phone to recognize your voice so that it's always ready for the launch command and can execute voice searches and unique device commands.
Touchless Control is a separate application from Google Voice Search but it works with Google Voice Search. Touchless Control's main purpose is to wait for the launch phrase, "OK Google" or "Ok Google (Now)" and then either execute the command or send the request to Google Voice Search.
Tip: To enable all features and get optimized performance, visit the Play Store to ensure you are running the latest version of Touchless Control.
Touchless Control Information
Remove the screen cling before proceeding.
To train Touchless Control:
- Touch Apps > Settings > Touchless Control.
- Move to a quiet room. If your location is not quiet enough your device will notify you. You will only be able to proceed when the phone indicates it has found a quiet location.
- Hold your phone away from your face and speak normally.
- Say OK Google Now when prompted. (Note: It is not possible to set your own trigger phrase at this time).
After you train it, Touchless Control is ready for the launch phrase, “OK Google (Now)." Just say those words followed by a command or search, and your phone will respond. “OK Google (Now)” will work at any time regardless of the application running.
Note: Touchless Control currently supports English (American), Spanish (LATAM), Portugese (Brazil), and French (Canadian). There is also beta support for English (UK), Spanish (Spain), French (France), German, and Italian.
Once the device is trained you can now use several different voice commands. There is no need to pause after saying the launch phrase. Simply put everything together into a single phrase and Touchless Control will process the command. Touchless Control is able to execute much faster than other voice systems since it does not need to break up your voice command.
To help make it clear that Touchless Control has heard you we have added a beep after the trigger phrase is heard. This should make using Touchless Control eyes-free even easier. If you would prefer to not hear the beep after you say the trigger phrase, you can turn it off by touching Apps > Settings > Touchless Control > Launch phrase sound.
- Say "OK Google (Now) Help Me" for a full list of voice commands and examples, or see examples of ways you can use your voice on Google.
- To find your phone all you need to do is say, “OK Google Now, find my phone.”
- Touchless Control will work with most Bluetooth and wired headsets. To launch Touchless Control simply touch on the talk (Multifunction) button for the accessory, and speak your command; you do not need to say "OK Google (Now)."
- Touchless Control allows you to be as far away as 10-15 feet from your phone, in quiet environments. In loud environments the range is about 1-2 feet. A good rule of thumb is to think of it like talking to a person - if a person couldn't be reasonably expected to hear you then there's a good chance your phone won't either.
- Use voice pin entry - When Touchless Control is used to execute a command, you simply need to speak your pin code when prompted. Unfortunately, you cannot use voice pin entry with a pattern lock or password. Please switch to pin entry if you would like to use the feature. To enable this feature touch Apps > Moto > > Voice > check Speak PIN to unlock option.
|Call "contact"||Make a phone call|
|Navigate to "location"||Get directions|
|Text "contact"||Send a message|
|Remember "meeting at 1"||Set reminders|
|Will it rain today?
When will the sun rise?
How tall is the Eiffel Tower?
|Schedule "an appointment for Friday at noon"||Schedule meetings|
|Play "title"||Play music & movies|
|Set "alarm for 6 in the morning on Tuesday"||Set alarms|
|Open "calendar app"||Opens application|
|What's this song?
Post to Google +
When is my next meeting?
Show me pictures of cute pets
|Other Voice Actions|
Back to Top
What is the “What’s up?” command?
The “What’s up?” command reads out important notifications from the notification bar in Android. After reading them the items are marked as having been read for both “What’s up?” as well as Active Display.
I can’t get the “What’s up?” command to work properly, what can I do?
You can try saying “Ok Google (Now), Read Notifications”. Depending on your particular voice, the system sometimes has a problem picking up a very short phrase like “What’s up?” consistently.
Can I respond to notifications in “What’s up?”
Unfortunately, at this time you cannot respond with your voice to notifications read by “What’s up?” - but we are working on it.
How do I reduce the information “What’s up?” provides when my screen is locked?
If you are concerned about your notifications being read aloud to another person, you can reduce the amount of detail read by touching Apps > Settings > Touchless Control > Commands while locked > Notification details and turning off the setting.
To adjust how Touchless Control works on your device:
Say "OK Google (Now) Launch Settings" or touch > Settings > Touchless Control.
- Touchless Control - Enable (check) or Disable (uncheck)
- Train launch phrase - Re-record your launch phrase
- Call while locked - Place calls even when your phone is locked (checked)
- Use speakerphone - Speakerphone will be on when a call is placed (checked)
- Confirm before calling - Choose from three options
- Always place call without confirming (default)
- Confirm based on calling history
- Always ask before placing a call
- Help - Say "OK Google (Now), help me" to see available commands
- If you are visually impaired, use Touchless Control with TalkBack. Touchless Control has full support for TalkBack. To turn TalkBack on, touch Apps > Settings > Accessibilty > TalkBack.
Is Touchless Control recording everything I say?
Touchless Control is not recording everything it hears, it's simply matching the sound to your tuned launch phrase "OK Google (Now)." The recognition of "OK Google (Now)" is done entirely on the phone. Motorola is not saving anything heard by the phone or the command either on the phone or in the cloud.
Where do my commands and searches get saved?
How do I prevent Google from saving any information about me?
You have control over your information on Google. You can:
- Review and control certain types of information tied to your Google Account by using Google Dashboard.
- View and edit your ads preferences, such as which categories might interest you, using Ads Settings. You can also opt out of certain Google advertising services here.
- Use our editor to see and adjust how your Google Profile appears to particular individuals.
- Control who you share information with.
- Take information out of many of our services.
What information is Touchless Control saving about me?
Touchless Control is not saving any information about you individually. We only collect information about how often you use Touchless Control.
Is my voice recorded?
Your voice is recorded in order to train the system but it isn't saved. We use your voice to look for your unique way of saying "OK Google (Now)," so the launch phrase is tuned to your voice. Once Touchless Control is set up, it deletes your recording so it isn't saved anywhere.
How do I use Touchless Control with the lock screen?
Touchless Control includes two features to make using Touchless Control with the lock screen easier. The first is voice pin entry. If you use a numeric pin code you will be prompted by Touchless Control when you encounter the lock screen to speak your pin. Simply say your pin code to unlock the phone to complete your request. The second feature is to allow the Google application to run in front of the lock screen without needing to unlock the phone. This feature requires you to agree to the terms and conditions before you use it. Enabling the feature can be done by agreeing to the notification or turning the feature on manually within Settings -> Touchless Control.
Note: Unfortunately you cannot use voice pin entry with a pattern lock or password. Please switch to pin entry if you would like to use the feature.
- In order to disable Google Now from running in front of the lock screen, you need to disable running widgets in front of the lock screen within your corporate device policy as part of the Google Apps Device Policy.
- In order to prevent voice pin entry from running, you need to disable allowing users to use a pin to unlock their phones.
How do I choose a contact when I get multiple matches?
To call someone after multiple matches are found, either tap on the contact or say call after Touchless Control has read off the contact.
Why do I get a match to my phone book when I try to call a business?
To improve overall call accuracy, Touchless Control may favor entries in your phonebook over the names of individual businesses. To call a business outside of your phonebook, simply say "Ok Google (Now) find the number for <name of business and location>." Google will try and find the right number for you.
Why won't Touchless Control call anyone in my phone book?
It can sometimes take a little bit of time before Touchless Control is made aware of your phone book after a large import of new contacts.
Why does the calling interface look different sometimes?
When a command is not understood by Touchless Control, the request is sent to Google Voice Search. Google Voice Search then matches it to a card.
Why do I need to unlock my phone in order to place a call?
Touchless Control allows you to call without having to unlock your phone. If you turned off Calls in the "Commands while locked" in Settings then you'll have to unlock each time in order to call.
Why is Touchless Control having a hard time recognizing a name?
Touchless Control matches names using the language set on your phone. If the name you are trying to find is too far out of the mainstream for that language, try spelling it phonetically in your phonebook.
How does the "Confirm before call" setting work?
The "Confirm before call" setting controls how Touchless Control behaves when it finds a single match in your address book. The three choices are: "call immediately," which is set by default, "ask to call," or "use your past calling history" to determine the most appropriate action. When using your history, we take into account recent calls and if the contact has been marked as a favorite to decide on the best course of action.
How can I use Touchless Control with another phone application like Skype or Google Voice?
Touchless Control opens all applications that are registered as calling applications. Once Touchless Control starts calling, your phone will present you with a choice of which application you want to use. Simply tap on that application to use it for the call.
I just added a contact to my address book but I can't call it with Touchless Control.
If Touchless Control can't consistently match a particular person in your phonebook, try spelling their name phonetically.
How do I set up Touchless Control to turn on the Moto X speakerphone automatically when making a voice call?
To use speakerphone instead as a default when calling, simply go to Settings > Touchless Control > Use Speakerphone and check it. If you don't have a setting for Use Speakerphone, please go to the Play Store and update Touchless Control to the latest version.
In order to use Navigation you simply have to say "OK Google (Now), Navigate to <address>". In addition to an address, you can also say things that Google could recognize like "OK Google (Now), Navigate to the Post Office in Sunnyvale California. This works great for businesses as well.
Why doesn't Touchless Control navigate to my home address or other contacts in my phonebook, even though I have addresses in them?
Touchless Control relies on Google in order to execute navigation commands. In order to navigate to address in your phone book, Google Voice Search requires you to sign up for their search field trial in order to use this functionality.
How do I set up the location for Google Voice Search?
To set up the location on Google Voice Search, either follow the prompts when it requests you to add location permission or do this in the settings. You can find the settings by going inside the Google application to Settings > Privacy & accounts > Google location settings > Access location.
Touchless Control isn’t responding after I say the launch phrase “OK Google (Now)” - what should I do?
There are a number of potential reasons why the phone doesn’t respond to “OK Google Now”.
- Ensure you are running the most up to date version. Go to Apps > Settings > Touchless Control > Check version is 3.06.1.0 or higher.
- Sometimes the phone simply doesn’t hear you because there’s too much background noise, or the microphone is covered, or you’ve said “OK Google Now” significantly differently than how you trained the phone.
- Saying “OK Google Now” louder will sometimes help but if you find yourself yelling it’s unlikely to work. If you still have problems after adjusting your phone or going to a more quiet environment, consider retraining your phone by going to Apps > Settings > Touchless Control > Train launch phrase.
Will a case or a screen protector affect performance of Touchless Control?
A case or a screen protector can affect performance of Touchless Control if it covers one of the microphones on your phone. The microphones can be identified as small holes found on the phone. On the Moto X, there are two microphones on the front bottom and back bottom of the phone and one microphone on the top of the phone. For best performance, ensure that the microphones are not covered.
Why can someone else trigger my phone?
While we train the phone to respond to your voice, this doesn't completely exclude others with a similar pitch and cadence to yours. The launch phrase training typically prevents most other people from triggering your phone.
Why can’t I set up Touchless Control?
You may be in an environment that is too noisy for Touchless Control to be trained - this is indicated by the noise meter when training the launch phrase. Simply find another location where you can train. Air conditioning noise in particular can cause problems with training your phone.
Why is Touchless Control not working in my car?
In many cars you can place your phone anywhere and Touchless Control will work just fine. However, if your car is particularly noisy, it's best to have a direct line from your mouth to the phone to work the best. For example, when resting your phone in a cup holder, set it with the phone's bottom facing up.
Why does Touchless Control not know the time?
This is most likely because you are not sharing your Location with the Google app. Turn on location permissions by opening Settings > Location Access and turn on Access to my location. You also need to agree to either GPS or Wi-Fi location.
My Touchless Control sometimes launches even though I never said “OK Google (Now)”, what should I do?
This is an uncommon experience and can be caused by a poorly trained launch phrase. If this is happening frequently, try going to a quiet spot and retrain your phone by going to to Apps > Settings > Touchless Control > Train launch phrase.
Why do some of my commands simply result in a search query?
Both Touchless Control and Google Voice Search work by associating what you say to a specific command like the weather, time, calling, etc.. If there isn't a command or special response for your query, Google Voice Search will return a web search result.
How come an answer is spoken back and sometimes it isn't?
Touchless Control doesn't speak back when an answer card is not available or when the volume settings on your phone are set too low.
Why do I get the weather in Celsius when I'm in the US?
This typically happens when you are not sharing your Location with the Google app. To turn on location permissions, touch Apps > Settings > Location Access > turn Access to my location on. You also need to agree to use either GPS or Wi-Fi location.
Why can't I play the media on my device?
To play music or videos, Touchless Control relies on Google Voice Search. Google Voice Search determines what content gets played when you make a request and tries to determine the best source and player for that content.
I used to have the option to launch when display is off. Was it removed?
Correct, the "launch when display is off" setting was removed in the Play Store update (3.06.1). The current version monitors for the launch phrase regardless of the state of the display.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.