You can make your smartphone a Wi-Fi hotspot to provide portable, convenient Internet access to other Wi-Fi enabled devices.
You need to subscribe to Wi-Fi hotspot service to use this feature. Contact your service provider for additional information.
To setup your smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot:
- Turn off Wi-Fi power by touching Apps > Settings > Under Wireless & networks turn Wi-Fi Off.
- From the home screen, touch Apps > Settings > More > Tethering & Mobile Hotspot > Mobile Hotspot to turn on the hotspot.
- Touch Mobile Hotspot settings > Configure Mobile Hotspot to change hotspot security and configuration settings:
• Network SSID—Enter a unique name for your hotspot
• Security—Select the type of security you want, and touch Save: WEP, WPA, or WPA2. Enter a unique password. Other users can access your Wi-Fi hotspot only if they enter the correct password.
Note: Keep it secure. To protect your phone and hotspot from unauthorized access, it is strongly recommended that you set up hotspot Security (WPA2 is the most secure), including password.
• Broadcast Channel—Select a channel that minimizes potential interference. You may need to try different channels after your hotspot is active for a time.
- Touch Save when the settings are complete. When your Wi-Fi hotspot is active, other Wi-Fi enabled devices can connect by entering your hotspot’s SSID, selecting a Security type, and entering the correct Wireless password.
Cannot access certain web sites using computer browser
If you're unable to connect to certain sites, try power cycling your device.
If that doesn't work try using a different browser such as Firefox, Internet explorer or Chrome. Ensure the browser version is up to date.
Unable to establish connection with the phone
- The wireless network may not be in range or has too weak of a signal to provide a successful connection. Check the signal bar to ensure you have strong connection.
- Re-enter the key on the device to match the key configured on your phone. Make sure that the encryption type and security settings match on the device and your phone.
- If WPA2 PSK encryption is in use, check that the key configured on the device matches the key entered on the phone.
- "Forget" the connection. This will clear the connection and allow you to reinitialize with the your phone.
- Turn off the connection from your device, turn the phone connection off. Turn back on your device first, then wait for 1 minute and then turn on and enable your hotspot to your phone.
Connection keeps dropping
Make sure the Inactivity timeout isn't timing out prematurely on your device.
Found under Mobile Hotspot settings > Inactivity timeout
Inactivity timeout may be set to: 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or 60 minutes, or Never Turn-Off; try using Never Turn-Off, to prevent your connection from dropping (May incur high data charges and overages)
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.