I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
How do I reset the droid maxx?
There are several ways to reset the device:
- A forced restart, which may resolve an unresponsive or blank display and does not remove any saved information
- A factory data reset, which uses menus to reset and remove any saved information
- An external factory data reset, which uses hardware keys to reset and remove any saved information
If the device is unresponsive or frozen, displays a blank or black screen, or will not respond when the power button is pressed, perform a forced restart.
Press and hold the Power button for 7-10 seconds. The device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence.
Note: The forced restart does not delete any data stored on the phone.
Factory Data Reset
If you wish to remove all personal information from the device, or are experiencing software issues, perform a Factory Data Reset. This deletes any data stored on the phone.
- Touch the Menu icon.
- Touch Settings > Backup & Reset > Factory Data Reset.
- Select Reset Phone.
Note: A factory data reset will remove all data stored on the phone. Before performing this reset, we recommend you back up your stored information.
External Factory Reset
If you cannot access the device's menu to perform the standard reset, use the hardware keys to perform an external factory reset.
Warning: Before proceeding with an External Reset ensure you know your Gmail address and password. If you don’t know the Gmail address and password, visit www.gmail.com > “Need help?”.
Once you have reset your password you will need to wait for approximately 24 hours before you can use the new password to unlock the phone. After approximately 24 hours, turn the phone on in an area with Wi-Fi or data service, and enter the new password.
- An external factory data reset will remove all data stored on the phone. Before performing this reset, we recommend you back up your stored information.
- This reset requires a minimum battery level of 25%. If you are unable to perform a reset, please charge your phone for 20-30 minutes and try again.
To perform an external factory reset:
- With the phone off, press the Volume Down key for 2-3 seconds, press and release the Power key, then release the Volume Down key.
- Press the Volume Down key to scroll to Recovery.
- Press the Volume Up key to confirm. The device may reboot automatically if too much time passes before you make a selection.
- The Motorola logo displays, followed by the Android logo with an exclamation point.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the Volume Up key, tap and release the Power key. This step may be easier if you hold the phone sideways.
- When the device displays additional menu options, use the Volume Down key to scroll to Wipe data / Factory Reset.
- Press the Power key to confirm.
- Press the Volume Down key to select YES - delete all user data and press the Power key to confirm.
- After the reset finishes, press the Power key to confirm rebooting.
- The device will turn on as normal.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.