I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
Please provide the following
What security and screen lock options are available on my device?
Your device now has several different lock options available.
To access your lock options, touch Apps > Settings > Security & Screen Lock
Screen Lock Options
- None - No screen lock options will be set on your device
- Slide - provides no protection, but lets you get to the Home screen quickly.
- Face Unlock - lets you unlock your phone by looking at it.
Note: This option is less secure than a pattern, PIN or password.
- Pattern - lets you draw a simple pattern with your finger to unlock the phone.
- PIN - requires four or more numbers. Longer PINs tend to be more secure.
- Password - requires four or more letters or numbers. This is the most secure option, as long as you create a strong password.
Click here to learn about online protection options available from Motorola.
The Lock Screen uses two timers. The first timer is the "Sleep" timer which turns off the device display to extend battery life. You can turn the display on and swipe to unlock. The second timer called the "Automatic lock" timer turns on security features like pin, pattern, password or face unlock and protects the device from unknown users. This "Automatic lock" timer begins after the "Sleep" timer expires and you will be asked to enter personally recognizable data like pin, pattern, password or the face unlock when the display is powered on.
Note: The Automatic lock option will only show after a screen lock option (other than Slide) has been set.
To adjust the "Automatically lock" timer go to Settings > Security & Screen Lock > Automatically lock > Select desired time frame.
To adjust the "Sleep" setting go to Settings > Display > Sleep > Select desired time frame
If you are using facial recognition and do not want the "slide to unlock" to appear, set the "Automatic lock" timer to "5 seconds"
Unlocking your device if you forgot your PIN or pattern
If you forgot the pattern or your PIN is not working, the handset will allow you to log-in with the Gmail information you programmed into the handset during setup.
You will need to try entering a pattern or PIN at least five times. If you fail to draw the correct unlock pattern or pin on the screen after five attempts, the phone will prompt you to wait for 30 seconds before you can try again.
Press OK or wait for 30 seconds before attempting again.
After you press OK, the lock will come back again with a button on bottom right that states Forgot pattern.
Touch Forgot Pattern.
You will be prompted to sign in using your Google/Gmail account and then to create a new screen unlock. You can skip entering a new security lock.
If you forgot or are unsure about your Google password, but you know your Gmail login or Google account name, you can have Gmail send you a password change request link to your other email address through your computer, by following the steps below:
- Please use a computer to visit http://www.gmail.com.
- From the Gmail login page click on the "Can't access your account?"
- Follow the steps in that guide to recover your Gmail login information.
- Once your login information is recovered, please use that information to unlock the handset using initial steps above. If you recently created your Gmail account or changed its password, allow up to an hour to try the new password.
Note: You must have had a Gmail account setup on the handset before you locked the handset to reset your PIN through Gmail.
If the steps above did not resolve your issue, the last option is to attempt an external reset of your device. Click here for more information on this option.
This feature will allow your phone to remain unlocked while connected to Bluetooth devices that you trust. If you disconnect or get too far away, the device will lock once again.
To use this feature simply pair your phone with a Bluetooth device, and select Trusted Device when prompted.
- You can choose to lock manually through the notification curtain.
- Your power key will not automatically lock when you are connected to a trusted device.
Power button instantly locks
There is an option in which will automatically lock the device when the display is on and the power button is pressed. As soon as the power button is pressed your device will lock.
Note: The Power button instantly locks option will only show after a screen lock option (other than Slide) has been set.
To activate the "Power button instantly locks" setting, go to Settings > Security & Screen Lock > check the Power button instantly locks checkbox.
Important note: Your phone may contain security policies set by your IT administrator which may override any settings you attempt to set under screen security. For example, if you set your phone to automatically lock for 30 minutes and phone locks after 10 minutes, it may be due to security policies set by your IT Administrator. Please contact your IT Admin for more information.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.