I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
"Pattern" lock or a "Passcode" are types of Security lock for your handset.
You will need your Gmail / Google Account credentials (user name and password) to reset either security lock. If you have set up a security lock on your handset without first setting up a valid Gmail/Google Account you can remember, you will need to perform a external reset to wipe out your handset's memory and start over.
You need to try the pattern lock or passcode 5 times to be given the chance to reset the handset with your Gmail account. If you fail to draw the correct unlock pattern on the screen after five attempts, the phone will prompt you to wait for 30 seconds before you can try again. If you forgot your screen unlock pattern or security passcode, touch Forgot pattern (or passcode). You will be prompted to sign in using your Google account and create a new screen unlock.
Reset Gmail Password
If you forgot or are unsure about your Google password, but you remember your Gmail / Google account name, you can use a computer to access the Gmail account and Gmail will send a link to reset your account password to another one of your email accounts. Use steps below to reset Gmail password for your handset with your computer:
- Please use a computer to visit http://www.gmail.com.
- From the Gmail login page click on the "Can't access your account?" link
- Follow the steps instructed by Gmail to recover your Gmail login information. We have copy and pasted the majority of this information below.
- Check "I forgot my password.", click on "Reset your password here" to get to next screen below.
- Enter your Google/Gmail address (including "@gmail.com"). Press submit.
- Copy text from random captcha and enter into field.
- A reset password link will be emailed to your back-up email account you had established during initial Gmail set-up on your computer.
Once your login information is recovered, please use that information to unlock the handset when asked for your Gmail credentials again onscreen.
If you forgot any of your other Gmail information as described in Gmail help screen below, click on the topic for more details.
Sample of security settings screen that needs to be adjusted before Gmail password tools should be used.
You can access this screen online at any time through your Gmail email settings menu. It is recommended to go through this menu and set your security questions, back-up email account and other options before you get locked out of your account or device.
Reset phone / Factory Data Reset:
If all of the above steps do not assist in unlocking your phone, or you never entered a Gmail/Google account into the handset in the first place, you will need to perform a factory reset as a last resort. All the data you have previously entered on your handset will be deleted and you will need to start new. Contact Motorola Customer Service or your Carrier for help with resetting your device.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.