I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
Please provide the following
moto g4 play - Android™ 7.1.1 Nougat - Release Notes
We are excited to announce a new software update for moto g4 play by Motorola. This update brings Android™ 7.1.1 Nougat to your phone along with other improvements.
For more information on Motorola updates and repairs, visit us at www.motorola.com/mymotog.
NOTE: all information on your phone will be saved. You cannot downgrade to a previous software version after installing this update.
Android™ 7.1.1 Nougat improves your mobile experience with new multi-tasking features, more efficient notification controls and improved data saver and battery features.
After installing the software update, you may notice changes that include:
- Quick switch between apps: multitasking on your phone just got even easier. Double tap the overview/recent apps button to switch between your two most recently used apps.
- Multi-window view: Android Nougat supports multi-window view, so you can run two apps side by side on your screen. For example, reply to a text message while watching a video, or browse the Internet during a video call. Activate multi-window view by long-pressing the overview/recent apps button while in a compatible app. Important: the developer of the app needs to enable multi-window view.
- Work mode: for Android for Work users, Android Nougat comes with a new work mode toggle, which allows you to conveniently turn on and off your device's work apps and related notifications for a better work-life balance.
- Messages: Android Messages makes it easy to communicate with anyone using SMS, MMS and more. Stay in touch with friends and family, send group texts, and share your favourite pictures, videos and audio messages.
- Video calling: Duo is a one-to-one video calling app for everyone - designed to be simple, reliable and fun so you never miss a moment.
- Data saver: Data saver helps reduce mobile data usage. When Data saver is on, apps running in the background won't be able to access mobile data. An app that you're currently using can access data, but may do so less frequently. You can also choose which apps have unrestricted mobile data access. To turn Data saver on, open Settings from the app tray and go to 'Data usage', then tap 'Data saver'. To adjust data access for individual apps, go to 'Unrestricted data access'.
- Doze on the go: Android Nougat comes with an improved Doze mode. Now your device goes into lower power usage when you aren't using it and the screen is off, even if you're on the move.
- Just-in-time compiler: the new just-in-time compiler improves runtime device performance, helps reduce the amount of storage space required for apps and helps make app and system updates much faster.
- Stability improvements: Includes changes that fix bugs and improve the stability of your phone.
- Notification direct reply: Android Nougat lets you quickly reply to messages right from the notifications. When you receive a message, swipe the status bar down and tap 'Reply' on the message notification. Then type and send your response, all without opening the app. Works on compatible applications.
- Bundled notifications: see more information at a glance! In Android Nougat, multiple notifications from the same app are bundled together into a single notification group. Drag the status bar down and tap the group to expand it and see or take action on individual notifications.
- Notification controls: you now have more control over notifications. Just press and hold on a notification to toggle the settings. You can silence or block future alerts from an app in the notification itself.
- Custom quick settings: Android Nougat lets you rearrange the quick setting tiles, so you can find your commonly used settings faster. Just swipe the status bar down with two fingers, then tap 'Edit' at the bottom of the quick settings panel.
- Quick settings bar: a new settings bar has been added at the top of the notification shade, so you can conveniently access your quick settings when reading your alerts.
- Improved settings navigation: find the right setting faster with an updated navigation menu in Settings.
- Settings suggestions: Android Nougat gives you meaningful suggestions for how to get more out of your device. Find them at the top of the Settings menu.
- Lock screen wallpaper: you can now have different wallpapers on your phone's Home screen and lockscreen. To set the wallpapers, long-press on an empty space on your Home screen, then tap 'Wallpapers'. Once you've selected an image, tap 'Set wallpaper' at the top of the screen. You will be prompted to set the selected wallpaper for the Home screen, lock screen or both.
- Improved system backup coverage: Android backup covers more device settings in Android Nougat, including accessibility settings, run-time permissions for apps, Wi-Fi hotspot settings and Wi-Fi network restrictions.
- New and updated emoji: do you speak fluent Emoji? Bring your words to life with all-new emoji, including redesigned human emoji with multiple skin tones.
- Emergency information: Emergency information lets you add information such as name, blood type, allergies and an emergency contact so that emergency responders can view this information through your device's lock screen. To add or edit emergency information, open Settings from the app tray, scroll down to 'Users', then tap on 'Emergency information'.
- App Shortcuts: brings you app shortcuts directly from your Home screen. Launch actions on your favourite apps by simply pressing and holding the app icon. (It requires app compatibility).
- Accessibility settings in initial setup: now you can configure accessibility features for your phone during the setup tutorial. Set magnification gesture, font size, display size and TalkBack right out of the box.
- Accessibility mono output: assists users with hearing loss in one ear by combining stereo left and right channel output to a single mono stream. To turn Mono audio on, open Settings from the app tray, then go to 'Accessibility' and scroll down until you find the 'Mono audio' switch.
- Variable text to speech: allows setting a wider range for speech rate and pitch. Open Settings from the app tray, then go to 'Accessibility' and scroll down to 'Text-to-speech output'. Use the sliders to adjust the speech rate and pitch.
- Size of display elements: in Android Nougat, not only can you change the font size, but also the size of the display elements, such as icons and images. To adjust the size of your display elements, open Settings from the app tray and tap 'Display', then scroll down and select 'Display size'.
- Trusted face improvements: unlocking your phone with Trusted face is easier than ever. Trusted face, a part of Smart Lock, has new facial recognition, which is less sensitive to conditions such as lighting, facial decorations and how you hold your phone.
- Call screening: allows the default phone app to screen/block incoming calls. To set call screening, open the default dialler app, tap the menu icon in the top right-hand corner (3 vertical dots) and select 'Settings', then go to 'Call blocking'.
- Multi-locale language support and preferences: now you can add multiple languages in your device settings to customise experiences for you, such as showing search results in multiple languages and not offering to translate webpages in a language you already know. You can even sort your language preferences so that apps can pick the right keyboard and text for you.
- Locales by language: we've added the option to select locales for commonly used languages. When you add a new language, you will be prompted to select the locale (if supported for the selected language).
- Android security: includes Android security patches released through November 1st 2017.
For a successful installation, we recommend installing this update when your phone's battery is at least 50% charged and you are connected to a Wi-Fi network.
If you have received a notification message for this update:
1. Select 'Yes, I'm in'.
2. Once the software has downloaded, select 'Install now'.
3. Once the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically.
4. Your phone has been updated.
If you have not received a notification message for this update, follow the steps below to manually update your phone:
1. Select the Settings icon in the apps menu.
2. Select 'About phone'.
3. Select 'System updates'.
4. Select 'Yes, I'm in'. Once the software has downloaded, select 'Install now'.
5. Once the software is installed, your phone will re-start automatically.
6. Your phone has been updated.
If you have difficulty with this upgrade, visit us at www.motorola.com/mymotog.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.