I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
Please provide the following
Using an SD card on the moto x4
Apps and app data (including photos, videos, and music files) are stored in your phone’s internal storage. Files you download from email or the internet are stored there, too.
You can insert an SD card to instantly add portable storage to your phone for media files.
The moto x4 allows you to expand your memory by using a micro SD card. (up to 2 TB)
To insert the microSD card:
1. Insert the tool that comes with your phone into the small hole on the card tray and pop out the tray.
2. Insert or remove the cards as needed.
3. Carefully insert the tray back in the phone and make sure it closes securely.
Click here for a tutorial on how to insert SD card.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The moto x4 supports file-based encryption (FBE). File-based encryption allows different files to be encrypted with different keys that can be unlocked independently. File-based encryption cannot currently be used together with adoptable storage. On devices using file-based encryption, new storage media (such as an SD card) must be used as traditional storage.
Click here for a tutorial on using external SD card as o=portable storage.
Using your card
- Insert the SD card in your device
- You will get a notification that a new SD Card has been detected.
- Media, pictures, movies already on the card will be visible in the device photo gallery and media apps. New content side loaded to the card will also be available and viewable in media apps on the device
- Through the Motorola camera application settings, you can select the default storage for pictures and movies captured through the Motorola camera app. Third party cameras might not offer this option.
- Some third party applications will enable you to store their content on the SD card, but only if the application developer choses to do so (Google Play Music)
Move media from internal storage to SD card
Be sure you've inserted and set up your SD card.
- Open the Files app.
- Touch and select your phone.
- Navigate to and select one or more files or folders to move.
- Touch > Move to.
- Touch and select your SD card.
- Touch Move.
Remove SD card
Drag the SD card notification down, and touch Eject.
If you don't see the notification:
- Go to Settings > Storage.
- Next to your SD card name, touch .
- It's now safe to remove the card from the phone.
To insert the card into another device (computer, projector, etc.), you may need the adapter that came with your card. See device manufacturer's instructions for the type of adapter required and insertion instructions.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.