I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
Please provide the following
Follow these steps to set up and troubleshoot Wi-Fi access on the phone.
Turn Wi-Fi Power On or Off
Touch Apps > Settings > Wi-Fi, then touch the Wi-Fi power switch to turn it or .
When Wi-Fi is on, the Wi-Fi in range indicator appears in the status bar when a network is available. Drag down the status bar and touch the Wi-Fi Networks Available notification to select and connect to a network.
To search for a network when Wi-Fi is off:
Touch Apps > Settings > Wi-Fi.
Touch the Wi-Fi power switch to turn it and scan. Your smartphone lists the networks it finds within range.
Touch a network to connect. If necessary, enter Network SSID, Security, and Password, and touch Connect.
When your smartphone is connected to the network, the Wi-Fi connected indicator appears in the status bar.
To see your smartphone’s MAC address or other Wi-Fi details, touch > Settings > Wi-Fi > Menu > Advanced.
Note: When device is in range and Wi-Fi is on, the phone may automatically reconnect to available networks it has connected to in the past.
You can make your smartphone a Wi-Fi hotspot to provide portable, convenient Internet access to other Wi-Fi enabled devices. You need to subscribe to Wi-Fi hotspot service to use this feature. Contact your carrier for more details.
Caution: This application significantly impacts battery life. You may want to run this application with the charger connected.
Set up Mobile Hotspot
Turn off Wi-Fi power by touching Apps > Settings > Under Wireless & networks turn Wi-Fi Off.
Touch Apps > Settings > More > Tethering & Mobile Hotspot > Mobile Hotspot to turn on the hotspot.
Touch Mobile Hotspot settings > Configure Mobile Hotspot to change hotspot security and configuration settings:
Network SSID: Enter a unique name for your hotspot and touch Next.
Security: Select the type of security you want: WEP, WPA, or WPA2. Enter a unique password. Other users can access your Wi-Fi hotspot only if they enter the correct password.
Note: Keep it secure. To protect your smartphone and hotspot from unauthorized access, it is strongly recommended that you set up hotspot Security (WPA2 is the most secure), including password.
Broadcast Channel: Select a channel that minimizes potential interference. You may need to try different channels after your hotspot is active for a time.
Touch Save when the settings are complete.
When your Wi-Fi hotspot is active, other Wi-Fi enabled devices can connect by entering your hotspot’s SSID, selecting a Security type, and entering the correct Password.
Unable to establish connection with the phone
- The Wi-Fi network may not be in range or has too weak of a signal to provide a successful connection. Check the Wi-Fi signal indicator to ensure you have strong connection. Try to connect to a different Wi-Fi network within range.
- Re-enter the key on the phone to match the key configured on the router. Make sure that the encryption type and security settings match on the router and phone.
- If WEP encryption is in use, check that the key configured on the router matches the key entered on the phone.
- The Wi-Fi network you're attempting to connect to may be configured for static IP addresses only. Check with the system administrator for an IP address assignment.
- Unplug the power from your router, turn the phone off. Plug back in your router first, then wait for 1 minute and then turn on your phone.
- Check if you are able to connect your phone via Bluetooth. If also unable to connect via Bluetooth contact Motorola for repair options.
- Visit the Troubleshooter for more steps. Select Wi-Fi and a topic that matches your issue.
Can't connect to Internet
- Try a different URL or web site address.
- Disconnect and try connecting to the network again.
- Enter correct Password (WEP-WAP/WPA key).
- Test another device connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Try turning the Wi-Fi router off and back on, then turn Wi-Fi on the phone off and back on to do a new scan and reconnect to the Wi-Fi network.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.