The battery life for a device may vary day to day depending on usage. Navigating, playing games, browsing the Web, making calls, and sending text messages all drain the battery of the device.
Try some of the following tips to maximize the battery life:
Charge the device properly
- Charge each night so you start the day fully charged and ready to go.
- Ensure you are charging the device correctly. See How to Properly Charge a Device.
- Restart the phone to close open applications on a regular basis, at least once a week.
Adjust connection settings
- Turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS when you are not using them.
- Close apps that use GPS when you no longer need them. Swipe down from the Notification Bar to see if you have active navigation applications that offer an option to quit or exit.
- Change Location Settings to use Battery Saving mode.
- Touch > Settings.
- Touch Location > Battery saving.
Be aware of network availability
- If you are in an area with low or no signal, the phone uses more power attempting connect to the weak signal. If possible, switch the phone into Airplane Mode to prevent excess battery drain.
- Use Wi-Fi when possible. Data over Wi-Fi uses less battery life than data over cellular networks.
Adjust display settings
- When setting the phone down after use, quickly press the Power key to turn the display off.
- Lower the screen brightness when possible. Swipe down from the top of the screen, tap the quick settings icon and tap the quick setting Brightness and then drag the slider to the left to manually reduce the display's brightness.
- Change the screen timeout to less than 1 minute.
- Touch > Settings.
- Touch Display.
- Touch Sleep.
- Close applications you are no longer using. Select Recent (the square icon) in the lower right, then touch the X in the upper right hand corner.
- Be aware of how much battery is consumed by running certain applications. Apps that use a lot of wireless data, such as streaming video or music, navigation, and maps, will drain the battery more quickly because of the data being transferred.
- Find out what application or feature uses the most battery life: Touch > Settings > Battery.
- Apps that update frequently, like social media or email, also consume battery power more frequently. Some live wallpapers and widgets may also consume battery life. Limit use of these apps when battery life is a concern.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.