I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
To use your smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot to provide Internet access to other Wi-Fi capable devices, you must have this service enabled on your account. Contact your service provider to add this service.
Before you begin
Turn off Wi-Fi by touching Apps > Settings > Under Wireless & networks turn Wi-Fi Off.
Set up your smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot
- From the home screen, touch Apps > Settings > More > Tethering & portable hotspot > Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot to turn on the hotspot.
- Touch Set up Wi-Fi Hotspot, and enter a unique Network SSID name. This is the name that will display on other devices when scanning for networks.
- Select a security level (WEP, WPA or WPA2). WPA2 is the highest security level.
- Enter a password.
- Touch Save to save your settings.
When you enable your smartphone as a Wi-Fi hotspot, other devices will display your network name in a Wi-Fi scan. The user must select your network name and enter the correct Wireless password to connect.
If the connected device can't access certain sites, try a different browser such as Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge. For other issues, use the Troubleshooter tool. Select Wi-Fi > Mobile Hotspot.
Unable to establish connection with the phone
- The wireless network may not be in range or has too weak of a signal to provide a successful connection. Check the signal bar to ensure you have a strong connection.
- Re-enter the key on the device to match the key configured on your phone. Make sure that the encryption type and security settings match on the device and your phone.
- If WPA2 PSK encryption is in use, check that the key configured on the device matches the key entered on the phone.
- "Forget" the connection. This will clear the connection and allow you to reinitialize with the phone.
- Turn off the connection from your device, turn the phone connection off. Turn back on your device first, then wait for 1 minute and then turn on and enable your hotspot to your phone.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.