I’m Moli, your virtual agent. I can help with Moto phone issues.
Motorola Connect -- MOTO X 2ND GENERATION
Motorola Connect allows you to send and receive text messages from your computer and even get incoming call and missed call notifications.
Select a topic below for more details:
- On your phone, touch > Connect
If you have not yet set up a Motorola Device ID, you will be prompted to set one up. Touch Yes, I'm in.
- Follow the instructions on your screen. Once you touch the agreement to use Motorola Connect, Motorola sends an email with simple instructions for installing the Chrome browser extension (and the Chrome browser, in case you need to install it, too) on your computer. You may also go to www.motorola.com/motorolaconnect to install the Chrome extension.
- On your computer, open the email and follow the instructions to download and install the extension (and Chrome, if it is not installed) on your computer.
- Follow the screen instructions to log in and get started.
Agree to use Motorola Connect on your device.
What you'll need:
- Chrome browser (Visit www.google.com/chrome to download)
- A device that supports Chrome extensions. Currently this includes PCs, Macs and Chromebooks. Chrome on iPads and Android tablets do not currently support extensions.
- You may have only one phone associated Motorola Connect and a particular Google account. If you opt-in on a second phone, the first will be disassociated and you will be signed out on any Chrome extensions. You simply need to click on the extension icon in the Chrome status bar to re-authenticate.
- You may choose a different Google account as your Motorola Device ID. Follow these steps: > Settings > Motorola Device ID > Select desired account
Yes. To use Motorola Connect, your phone must be connected to the internet through a mobile data or Wi-Fi connection.
For best performance, use a Wi-Fi connection and keep Wi-Fi on when the phone sleeps:
- Swipe the status bar down with two fingers, and touch Settings > Wi-Fi.
- Touch > Advanced > Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep.
- Touch Always.
When using a mobile data connection, you may experience delayed notifications in the following cases:
- Your carrier uses mobile data connection timeouts.
- Your network doesn’t support a mobile data connection during incoming or live calls.
- Your phone or computer has a poor Wi-Fi or mobile data connection.
You can originate, not just respond to a text from Motorola Connect. Please note, you cannot attach images.
Can I see group or picture messages in Motorola Connect?
- Receive picture messages
- Reply to picture messages with text (SMS) messages
- Receive group messages
- Reply to group messages with individual text (SMS) messages
If a call comes into my phone, does a caller ID like notification appear in Motorola Connect?
Yes, as long as your phone has data connectivity, you will receive an transitory incoming call notification followed by a missed call notification. You can choose to mute notification pop-ups and sounds in the Settings menu in the Motorola Connect Chrome extension.
What actions can I take on incoming call notifications? Can I ignore and respond with a text like I can on my phone?
If your phone has data connectivity during an incoming call (note some carriers drop the cellular data connection during calls), you will be able to ignore (remotely cause the call to go to voice mail) or reply with text from the Motorola Connect Chrome extension.
If you use Google Voice for text messages you can also access these via Motorola Connect. Simply open Google Voice, select the menu overflow button, then "Settings", then "Sync and notifications", then touch "Receive text messages" and select the "Via the messaging app" radio button.
This will now display Google Voice text messages through your primary messaging app and make them remotely available on your computer through the Motorola Connect Chrome extension.
Note: This is only applicable to Google Voice users who have downloaded and installed the app from the Play Store.
I signed into the Motorola Connect Chrome extension and got stuck at "connecting to Motorola Services".
Please check your computer’s data connection and try again.
I signed into the Motorola Connect Chrome extension and got stuck at "connecting to your phone".
Please confirm that you signed into the same Gmail account on both your phone and computer. Also, check to ensure that both your phone and computer have data connection.
My Motorola Connect Chrome extension was previously signed in on my computer, but suddenly it signed out (i.e. the green Motorola insignia turned grey).
Every thirty days your extension will sign-out on your computer and prompt you to re-authenticate using your Gmail ID. Please follow the instructions and your extension should be logged in again for 30 days.
What if I left home and forgot to sign out of a shared computer?
If you sign out of Motorola Connect from the phone all currently connected computers running the Chrome extension will also be signed out. To sign out on your phone, go to > Connect and uncheck the box. After 5 seconds you may then re-check the box and sign-in separately on any computers with the Chrome extension that you would like to re-connect.
My phone and computer both have data connection, but my extension says I'm not connected.
Please go to > Connect on your phone and uncheck the box. Wait 5 seconds and re-check the box and click on the Motorola Connect icon on your Chrome browser status bar to re-try connecting and authenticating. If that isn’t successful, Motorola Services may be undergoing maintenance & will be operation
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.