Reset my device - Moto G 2nd Generation
THIS INFORMATION IS FOR THE 2ND GENERATION MOTO G ON LOLLIPOP. FOR RESET INSTRUCTIONS FOR MODELS ON ANDROID 6.0 (MARSHMALLOW) SEE HERE.
In the unlikely event that your device becomes unresponsive, frozen, blank or black screen, or will not respond to the power button, you can perform a force restart or reboot on the device by following the steps below.
Press and hold the Power button for 7 - 10 seconds, the device will restart and go through the boot-up sequence.
- The forced restart or reboot will not delete any Data on your phone.
- If completing the 7-10 second Reset does not recover normal functionality of the device, then press and hold the Power Button for a full 120 seconds while connected to a charger.
Factory Data Reset is a tool used to remove everything that was imported, added or installed on the device. Keep in mind, when using this feature everything is deleted.
To reset your device:
2. Touch Settings
3. Touch Backup & reset
4. Touch Factory Data Reset
5. Touch Reset Phone
External Reset (KitKat)
If you are unable to access the phone's menu to perform the standard reset you can attempt an external factory reset.
- When using this feature; everything is deleted from the device.
- Reset will require a minimum battery level of 25%. If you are unable to perform a reset, please charge for 20-30 minutes and try reset again.
1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL DOWN KEY for 2-3 seconds then POWER key then release.
2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS
3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to select
Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.
4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)
5. Press and hold the VOL UP key for 10-15 seconds. While still holding the VOL UP key tap and release the POWER key
Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 6, try a force reboot by pressing the Power key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.
6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)
7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to Wipe data / factory reset and the POWER Key to select this option
8. Use the VOL DOWN key again to select YES - delete all user data and press the POWER key to CONFIRM
9. Once the Formatting is complete, press the POWER key to confirm a REBOOT
10. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence
External Reset (Lollipop)
1. With the phone powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on. You will see the word "Start" with an arrow around it.
2. Press the Volume Down button twice to highlight "Recovery mode"
3. Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode. You'll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark and the words "No command."
4. While holding down the Power button, press the Volume Up button.
5. Use the volume buttons to scroll to "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Power button to select it.
6. Scroll down to "Yes - erase all user data" and press the Power button to select it.
Was this information helpful?
Your feedback helps to improve this site.